This blog is no longer kept.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Wedding Reading, Spelling and Craft...or Math...NO DANCING!

Today’s home school readings are:

Navajo Indian Blessing.

Now you have lit a fire and that fire should not go out.

The new fire represents a new beginning,

A new life and a new family.

The fire should keep burning;

You should stay together.

You have lit the fire for life,

Until old age separates you.





The Dragon and the Knight by Michael Leunig

Once there was a damsel in distress.
She had become a bit of a dragon and it was consuming her.
A knight in shining armour confronted the damsel, and, seeing her reflection in his shiny breastplate, she realised what a dragon she had become, and she didn't like it.
In earnest she set about getting the dragon where it belonged and making sense of it.
"You have saved me", she cried, "Take off your armour that I may kiss you in gratitude".
"The removal of armour requires assistance", responded the knight.
So, together they removed the heavy armour and the damsel embraced him warmly.
The knight had never been so warmly touched. He felt immense relief.
He felt lighter; less weary; more free.
"That's how I feel too!" cried the damsel joyfully, and after some healthy, passionate kisses they had some healthy, passionate children.
They kept the dragon and the armour, which were useful from time to time; and generally speaking, in their own funny way, they lived quite happily ever after.

Today’s spelling netted a return of 90%:

Saturday
Wedding
Congratulations (this is the only one he got wrong)
Thirty-first
March
Bucks
Best man
Present
Vow
Marriage

Yes, today we are in full on wedding practice mode. Boy is in a FOUL mood and a melt down looms over our house like a Charlie Brown cloud of doom. We managed a single Kinetic Education unit on rhyming but Boy was solemn, fuming and disinterested.

I asked Boy if he’d like to help me finish some of the wedding crafts. Oh dear, you’d swear I’d said witch craft to the most devout religious. So, I’m sitting here being a good mother and trying to quietly remove the wedding stress associated with things being different; out of routine. Boy is not coping so well today and I am wondering what I can do to lift his mood.

He suggested that I go away and leave him alone. You know, I might just do that. When step dad gets back, I think it might be time for me to take a walk and smell the roses. Between home school, teaching at uni, running my business and organizing this wedding, I have had almost zilch time for me.

Mother in law is coming down for two days next week to do home school with boy while I go and do the girl things (hair cut, eyebrows, etc). Boy firmly stated that he DOES NOT want to come with me to “stupid girl appointments”. He'd rather dance and he hates dancing. I so can’t wait for him to realise that not coming and helping equates to doing school work while I play!!!

Best of all, I’ve arranged a mini working party to come and help me finish the wedding favours. Boy is just not interested in making platypus for art and crafts anymore so while we roll and mould the clay, Boy is going to have to do some math. Big brother (22) is coming for the wedding and big brother is stricter than I am with Boy’s learning. Boy is going to have to show big brother the evidence of home school learning. No work will equate to no fishing with the beloved big brother. Yip Yah! Calling in the support troops is the best thing I’ve done in a while.

Eight sleeps to go until our wedding in the rainforest.

Photo 1 is of Boy dancing at his sister's wedding.
Photo 2, "Congratulations" courtesy of remind at stock.xchng

No comments:

This blog is no longer kept. I am instead blogging only to Imaginif Child Protection became Serious Business